Tuesday 8 April 2014

Travel Tuesday: Yosakoi Dance Competition


At the weekend it was the annual Kyoto Yosakoi dance competition. Yosakoi is a type of dance unique to Japan. It originated in Kochi city in 1954 and has gradually spread around Japan. It is a very lively style of dancing mixing traditional and modern together which makes it very fun to watch.

There were seven venues around Kyoto where various universities and dance groups from around Japan competed together. I went to the Botanical Gardens which had the added bonus of lovely sakura. I really enjoyed watching all the dances and, not being biased or anything, but Kyoto Girls University was my favourite. Also their outfits were really nice!







Kyoto Girls University, don't they look so happy and cheerful!






This group were my second favourite. Their routine was great and they were the champions last year.

I like that their outfits are similar to those worn in Awa Odori.




Travel Tuesday

8 comments:

  1. The costumes are so nice and the cherry blossom trees are AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the groups even did a quick costume change half way through their routine which was fun!

      Delete
  2. this is so amazing! i am honestly so glad i discovered your blog, even though I haven't lived in Japan for 17 years I still feel very attached to my roots in many ways, and i love to see all these scenes from where I come from. so thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! It's great to read comments like this :) I am glad you enjoy my blog and that it helps you experience Japan even though you live on the other side of the world.

      Delete
  3. What a neat experience!! I'd LOVE to see this!! Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tonnes of fun to watch!

      Delete
    2. I've featured this post on this weeks travel tuesday!! Thanks for sharing! :) http://www.girl-meets-globe.com/2014/04/whirlwind-visit-to-stonehenge.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Tina! Glad you liked this post :)

      Delete