Friday 14 February 2014

Valentine's Day in Japan


Is Valentine`s Day celebrated in Japan?
Yes Valentine's Day is celebrated in Japan but it is celebrated in a slightly different way to how people in Europe celebrate.

What gifts are bought?
The most common gift is boxes of chocolates. You can find Valentine`s chocolates in all types of shops from convenience stores to department stores. When we were in Osaka we went to look at all the chocolates in Daimaru, they were all packaged so prettily. Also there was the benefit of the fact that in Japan they often have small pieces to taste! People don't tend to give flowers or cards.

Who gives the chocolates?
The main difference in Japan is that only women give chocolates on Valentine`s Day! Then next month on the 14th of March it is White Day. This is when men are expected to return chocolates to people who they received them from.

Who do you give them to?
Valentine`s Day chocolates aren't just for your boyfriend. 'Honmei choco' are given as presents of love whereas 'giri choco' are given to people you feel obliged to, such as your boss or colleagues. A recent phrase is 'tomo choco' which is chocolates you give to your female friends.

I find it interesting that Valentine`s Day is celebrated differently in different parts of the world. How are you going to celebrate?

12 comments:

  1. How interesting, in Sweden it is a pretty small holiday with only a few special candies on offer but the translation for the Swedish word would translate literally to all hearts day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of all hearts day! It's really cute!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea. I think a day about love can be about anyone - girlfriends, boyfriends, partners, spouses, bosses! I'm all for chocolate giving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I think it's a really nice idea that in Japan Valentine's day is about all types of love. The more chocolate the better!

      Delete
  3. I found your blog through the link up. :) It's the same in Korea. My students think it's so strange that men give women gifts on Valentine's Day in America. Though some of them prefer the idea of only having one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Lynsey :) That's interesting to know that it is the same in Korea. Although I like the way it is celebrated in Japan I think I prefer only having one day.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that is different but kind of lovely. I like the idea of extending it to family, friends and coworkers - must make both single people and couples feel loved! Weird that its the girl giving the chocolates though - my bf only got a card from me this year ;). Found you on the friday link up - looking forward to reading future posts from you!
    Thrifty Firecracker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it is a lovely idea too! It means that it is a day everyone can celebrate, not only those who are in relationships. It is unusual that only girls give chocolates but men get their turn next month! Thanks for stopping by Alice :)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of having two different days for gift giving! (But that could just be because I adore holidays in any shape or size) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love all holidays too! However I think I prefer only having one day.

      Delete
  6. I felt weird being the one gifted chocolate at work :S But I expect to give as good as I got once White Day rolls around (March 14)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you will get your chance to give on White Day!

      Delete